This week’s platform discussion is about a city that is thriving and healthy. It may not seem like this has anything to do with politics but it actually has a lot to do with it.
While things like healthcare are a Provincial mandate, municipalities are responsible for things like healthcare advocacy, recreational opportunities and accessibility, and urban design that allows for people to freely and safely enjoy their City and what it has to offer. I also recognize that thriving and healthy also means access and enjoyment of arts & culture in our community.
Here are the top 5 things I support right now, for a thriving and healthy City:
- A Skatepark where families and people of all skill levels can enjoy the facility; not only does this promote physical activity, it also promotes and enhances community safety;
- A new recreation facility to meet the growing population and demands of our residents. I agree we need a new facility and believe there is more work to do to ensure we are putting the right types of amenities inside of it;
- Walkable communities. I believe we need better development standards to ensure our streets are walkable and accessible to everyone;
- Supporting arts & cultural growth in our community, including grassroots organizations, as well as businesses. People should have access to the enjoyment of arts, culture, and the pursuit of hobbies. This develops community, and connectedness, which in turn helps people thrive; and,
- Continued support of organizations that help people who are marginalized including GSAs, Family & Community Support orgs, and Youth groups. We are fortunate enough to have many supportive resources in our community, some of which are entirely volunteer-led, and we need to ensure they remain viable in order to ensure everyone in our community feels supported and safe.
I have had the opportunity to meet with many groups and individuals about their visions for a healthy and thriving City and would love to hear from you too. Drop me a line any time, here.